Confronting a shameful past: Search for 1898 lynching site narrows


Historic researcher Jane Smith believes the 1898 lynching of John Henry James, which took place at a place identified as Wood’s Crossing, is located on a strip of land currently owned by Farmington Country Club. A 1919 plat shows the blacksmith shop near where the hanging-by-mob took place. Information courtesy Jane Smith/Google maps

Support C-VILLE Weekly

C-VILLE Weekly is Charlottesville’s leading newspaper. Founded in 1989, it’s been the area’s local source for informative (and informed) stories in news, arts, and living for more than 26 years.

UP NEXT

Failed mission

‘Night Sky’ doesn’t quite fly as a series

Sense memory

Krista Townsend’s ‘Second Nature’ bursts with visual excitement

Sound choices

Determination, dream pop and uplifting angst

Pick: Bent Theatre Comedy

Gut-buster: We all get bent out of shape sometimes, so give yourself a chance to work it out through a few belly...

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Failed mission

‘Night Sky’ doesn’t quite fly as a series

Sense memory

Krista Townsend’s ‘Second Nature’ bursts with visual excitement

Sound choices

Determination, dream pop and uplifting angst

Pick: Bent Theatre Comedy

Gut-buster: We all get bent out of shape sometimes, so give yourself a chance to work it out through a few belly...