Charlottesville

Lee Park’s Robert E. Lee monument was the last local Confederate statue erected in Charlottesville. It shows the general atop his favorite war horse, Traveller, and was unveiled during a Confederate reunion in May 1924. The monument was started by Henry M. Shrady, who asked to be sent a slew of Confederate cannons to melt as bronze for the casting of the statue, and was finished by Leo Lentelli after Shrady died. Rammelkamp Foto

Can the statue be moved? Not just a local issue

The Charlottesville park bounded by Jefferson, North First, Market and North Second streets isn’t the only Lee Park under heavy scrutiny. Last July, a group of folks in Dallas led a demonstration at Oak Lawn’s Lee Park to demand that a General Robert E. Lee statue be removed and the park renamed. Activists felt called […]