UPDATE: Albemarle County schools have a teacher work day today—no regular classes.
The storm that was supposed to bring several inches of snow may have been a bit of a bust, but it’s still causing some closures and cancellations Friday morning.
Neither Charlottesville nor Albemarle schools have announced closures or delayed openings as of 6:30am. (Albemarle’s hotline still has Thursday’s closure recording playing—cruel?) But Fluvanna, Louisa, and Augusta schools are operating on a 2-hour delay, as are several area private schools and colleges:
- Charlottesville Waldorf School: 2-hour delay
- Covenant School: 2-hour delay
- Effort Christian School: 10am opening
- Open Door Christian School: 2-hour delay; daycare open normal time
- Sweet Briar College: 2-hour delay
- Longwood College: 10am opening
Other snow-related cancellations and closures:
- Charlottesville and Albemarle Meals on Wheels: Closed Friday
- Charlottesville U.S. District Court: Naturalization ceremony cancelled for Friday
NBC29 reported that while yesterday’s rain and warm road temperatures kept city and many county roads clear, other nearby areas got hit harder. About two inches accumulated on Afton Mountain’s roadways, making for dangerous driving conditions. Significantly more snow fell east and south of Albemarle, in Fluvanna, Louisa, and Buckingham.