Resides in: Charlottesville
Best known for: Home goods shop Roxie Daisy
1. Antique or modern? Antique with touches of modern here and there.
2. City or country? Both! How can you pick? Go for a walk down a river or go for a walk through Barneys and I am a happy woman.
3. Which colors do you gravitate toward? Color? What’s that? I’m addicted to neutrals, but I like a pop of color here and there. Don’t make me choose!
4. Which materials or textures do you frequently use in your own home? Linen! Hemp! Mohair!
5. What is your favorite interior design-related word? Texture. I love mixing different textures to create a warm and inviting environment, especially mixing romantic and rustic.
6. Does your home look like the one you grew up in? My mother wrote about home interiors, so I was always aware of elements of design I loved, which happen to overlap with hers. My home now has pieces of my childhood home as well as beautiful things my husband and I have collected over the years.
7. What’s one thing that can really transform a room? A beautiful paint finish that reflects light. The finish is important!
8. Favorite designer? The people who influence me most tend to be stylists as opposed to designers. I love seeing how people put things together in an interesting way, specifically Hans Blomquist and Sibella Court.
9. Which design blog, website, TV show, or magazine do you peruse religiously? I should say an interior design blog, but I tend to get my inspiration from books. In all honesty, the blog I am addicted to is a beauty blog called Into The Gloss.
10. Décor-wise, what should a homeowner never scrimp on? Good, basic essential pieces, like a couch or a great rug.
11. Design rule you like to break? I like to buy art because I love the piece, not to match an interior. That may not be a design rule, but I think you should surround yourself with things you love even if it doesn’t match your couch. If I had to say one “rule,” it would be how low or high you should hang your chandelier.
12. What is your favorite room in your house? My kitchen.
13. What is your most treasured possession? I think because it was recently the holiday time, my most treasured possessions that come to mind are the ornaments my two boys made when they were little.
14. What do you wish you could do without? My hairdryer.
15. What are you afraid to DIY? I don’t do DIY. I’m afraid of it all.
16. Have you ever had a change of heart about an object or a style? Yes, all the time!
17. If you could live in one historical figure’s house, whose would it be? Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It looks like a sweet cottage!
18. On what movie set would you like to live? Kate Winslet’s English cottage in The Holiday.
19. If you were reborn as a piece of furniture or an object, what would it be? A farm table.
20. What is your first design memory? Dusting the furniture in my dad’s showroom at the High Point Market in exchange for Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
Want to know more? Visit the shop online at roxiedaisy.com or in person at 101 E. Water St.