1) “Newest addiction.” Notorious P.I.G. at Ivy Provisions. “A charcuterie-lover’s dream in some of the best baguette outside of Paris. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to write a sandwich menu. It’s HARD! PK Kamath at Ivy Provisions has crushed it with inventive deli sandwiches and a killer beer and wine selection.”
2) “Classic.” Escargot at Petit Pois. “Anything at Petit Pois! I have found myself on a gorgeous fall day, three bottles of wine deep (not alone), ordering a third and fourth plate. Restaurant folk don’t often get out for dinner. Petit Pois’ super affordable, perfectly executed bistro offerings are about as good as a daytime meal gets.”
3) “Afghan.” Lamb Curry at Afghan Grand Market. “WOW. A couple of months ago I ran into the Grand Market International to buy chick pea flour and za’atar. They have a kitchen in the back complete with a ceramic flatbread oven and kebab range. OK, I obviously don’t know the correct names for these pieces of equipment, but WOW. The lamb curry is phenomenal as well as the mixed grill and all the sides. I know because one of the sons ensured I tried eveything my first time in!”
4) “Joe.” Kenyan AA from Shenandoah Joe. “It’s as close to the first cup of coffee I ever had as I can get. Not to mention I just feel good every time I walk in to the Preston Avenue store. Ask for yours with a side of Dave Fafara. It’s well worth it.”
5) “Beer.” Trader Saison at Three Notch’d Brewing Company. “First of all, so much gratitude to Devils Backbone for pioneering the Central Virginia beer scene. The boys at Three Notch’d are making you proud. The Trader Saison is out of this world. Even unconditioned. Even uncarbonated right out of the steel. Derek and Co. keep it up!