On Fridays, The Charlottesville 29 features five finds selected by local chefs and personalities. Today, on the fifth anniversary of the first beer sale at Beer Run, the picks are from Beer Run co-owner Josh Hunt. To celebrate the day, Beer Run will be tapping rare kegs of beer and offering food and drink specials throughout the day. Hunt’s five picks:
1) Cheeseburger “All the Way” and a Coke in the Bottle at Riverside Lunch off High St. “As someone who grew up on the east side of Charlottesville, the Riverside has been an institution since long before I started going in the 80′s with my brothers and step-dad, to the old location on Long St., where the CVS is now. I’ve been all over this country and I haven’t found a better or more classic cheeseburger. Plus, the service is probably the fastest in town.”
2) Boquerones Con Ajo at Mas. (Plump white Cantabrian anchovy filets in an olive oil, garlic, lemon marinade). “Man, these anchovies are a thing of beauty — briny, fresh and plump, resting perfectly in olive oil. I think Tomas has some in-depth secret process that makes these so amazing. Excellent with a crisp white wine or a glass of Duvel Belgian golden ale.”
3) Baltimore-style Pit Beef Sandwich With Creamy Horseradish Sauce and a Cheerwine at Ace Biscuit & Barebecue. “When I go to Ace, I just let Brian & Gabby in the kitchen tell me what to order. I’ve yet to leave disappointed . . . or hungry.”
4) Lunch Buffet at Milan Indian Cuisine. “My girlfriend Chelsea turned me on to Milan, and its fantastic buffet, with a selection of delicious curries, rice, veggies, meats, chutneys, salads, naan and sauces. It also happens to be a great spot to meet my mom, who is a vegetarian and loves it.”
5) Fried Lotus Root at Peter Chang’s China Grill. “Holy Toledo, these things are like the best shoestring fries you’ve ever had, but better and flavored with spicy Sichuan peppers and spices. The are only available in season and fantastic with beer (like most things). Tip: Always order at least one item off of the hand-written page on the back of the menu. There are great authentic and seasonal dishes on that page.”
The Charlottesville 29 is a publication that asks, and answers: if there were just 29 restaurants in Charlottesville, what would be the ideal 29? Follow along with regular updates on Facebook and Twitter.