The city has offered up the following info on logistics and road closures for President Obama’s Wednesday visit. We’ll be updating regularly as we receive more details.
UPDATES as of noon:
- The 2nd and 4th Street crossings at the Downtown Mall will be closed to all vehicular traffic beginning at noon.
- A map of all road closures can be found here.
- Parking will not be allowed on closed streets. Enforcement of restricted parking will begin at 12:01 am on August 29th. Cars parked in violation of no parking signs will be towed.
- The Downtown Transit Center and the Charlottesville Albemarle Convention and Visitors Bureau will close at 11am.
City schools will close around midday. Pre-K classes let out at 11:30 a.m., Walker Upper Elementary and Buford Middle schools at noon, elementary schools at 12:30pm and Charlottesville High School at 1 p.m. All after-school activities are also cancelled, according to the announcement.
The City Hall Annex Building will close at 11am. This closure will affect the following city offices:
- Parks and Recreation
- Social Services
- Voter Registrar
- Information Technology
City Hall will remain open; however access to the building will only be available via the Market Street entrance or the 6th Street entrance. The main entrance to the building located on the downtown mall and the 7th Street entrance will be closed all day.
The Key Recreation Center will be closed all day Wednesday.
The Downtown Transit Center and the Charlottesville/Albemarle Convention and Visitors Bureau Visitors Center will close at noon.
Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) service will be detoured as follows:
- The downtown station (Transit Center) will close at noon and will reopen once the event is over and roads are open to traffic.
- All stops on Market Street between Ridge/McIntire and 9th Street NE will not be serviced beginning at noon.
- All stops on Water Street between Ridge/McIntire and 10th Street NE will not be serviced beginning at noon with the exception of the Omni Hotel stop on Water Street.
- Routes affected will be the FREE TROLLEY, 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
- Due to heavy traffic, delays are expected.
Road Closures will begin at noon and are as follows:
- Water Street at 4th Street SE
- Water Street at 10th Street NE
- 9th Street SE at Graves Street
- 9th Street SE at Levy Street
- East Market Street at 9th Street NE
- The 700 Block of East Market Street at 7th Street NE
The Market Street and Water Street Parking Garages will operate as normal. Visitors are encouraged to park in the garages as street parking will be limited.