Nick Crutchfield at Commonwealth Restaurant & Skybar
Amanda Wood at Zocalo
Tom Arnold, Sandra Bullock, Bill Cosby, Chevy Chase, and Bruce Willis were all bartenders before they got famous. We can’t be sure of Nick or Amanda’s acting prowess, but one thing’s certain: When it comes to pouring a tall one in this town, they’re already stars.
What’s Nick passionate about in Charlottesville?
1. The energy of the Downtown Mall on a nice summer day. The buzz of the people and families walking around, the street performers, artists, and vendors, kids laughing, dogs wagging their tails, there is just something really special about those days.
2. The Corned Beef Hash at Bluegrass Grill and Bakery. Holy Christ! It’s the best hash I’ve ever had and completely worth waiting for a table to get some. My favorite breakfast spot, hands down.
3. My places for reflection—hiking on any trail. Surfing used to be my way of clearing my mind and re-centering my soul. Obviously, I’m not on the coast anymore, so I head to Crabtree or Old Rag when I need that crucial reflection time.
4. The proximity to amazing vineyards, wineries, breweries, and soon, I feel, distilleries. Such an amazing amount of agritourism located so close to us.
5. Restaurants and bars. Of course, I saved my favorite for last. My go-tos are Tavola, Commonwealth, Mas, Clifton Inn, Mono Loco, Ace Biscuit and BBQ, and I have a feeling I’m going to be spending quite some time in Livery Stable—it’s small, nicely appointed, and friendly.